Saturday, January 14, 2006

The Review and the end of Internet at work.

Well, Folks.. it has been a long week at work. The big event was the rumor that our raises would be announced this week. Sure enough on Wednesday I was called into the boss' office for my raise "talk".. But before I get ahead of myself, I have recently talked about podcasts and how they have helped me through work. I have developed an addiction to several podcasts. Among them are the following Daily Source Code, The Bitterest Pill, Tres Jefes, Pacific Coast Hellway, In Over Your Head, Tartan Podcast, Accident Hash and others just to name a few. I had installed I tunes and set it up to check every hour or so for new podcasts and put my headphones on and went to work.. Of course, I downloaded most of the back shows for the podcasts I really liked. The amount of time I spent on this task was minimal. Probably equal to a smoke break a day. The rest of the time I was busy busy busy on the projects I have been assigned. However, my boss called me in to inform me that I was one of the larger users of internet in the company. They only track website hits. So, every time I tunes checked for a new podcast it counted as a hit. And everytime there was a new podcast they tracked that download. All of this was occuring while I was working on other stuff. But the crappy computer nazi program that my work has, has no way to tell the difference, so to them, I must have been checking 40 sites every minute or something ridiculous like that. So, I had to explain the whole thing to my boss and to prevent it from happening again, I have moved all my subcriptions to my computers at home. Does it matter really in my job??? I am given projects and a time limit. As long as I meet or exceed the expectations in completion of the projects does it matter if Im on the computer 8 hours a day?
Ahh.. oh well, I guess their the boss, they own the computer, they pay for the internet service in the first place. but still, kinda of crappy. they should have a counter for those workers who spend the whole day talking or smoking or take 1.5 hour lunches every day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home